Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
There are two kinds of people in this world. People who love avocado, and everyone else. However, at times avocado lovers will get a bag of them at once – and even though they might be hard and unripe one day. We might think we’ll give them a day or two to ripen. Now, whether it be from us forgetting we got them, or the weather is just so hot that they rapidly ripen one way or another we’ve all run into cutting into an avocado that’s already oxidized and is no longer good. Disappointed we toss the bunch after checking and finding that the same goes for the lot of them. Sometimes, we just can’t use enough of them in such a small amount of time and maybe use 1-2 out of the bunch. Well, this recipe will change that. It uses lots of avocados, so stop forcing yourself to eat so much toast and learn a new scrumptious recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 medium avocados
- 1 teaspoon of ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 ½ oz of shredded Colby Jack cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 fresh lime (for the juice)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped and caramelized
- your favorite spicy red pepper finely diced
- 1 cup of homemade Picante sauce
- Start by preheating your grill to medium. You can also use an indoor grill for this recipe, but I humbly prefer charcoal.
- While your grill gets up to heat, pound the chicken with a tenderizer thinning the meat out until it is about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Once all the chicken is tenderized, season with the seasonings listed in the recipe followed by anything else you’d like on your chicken to your taste preference.
- Drizzle the oil on the chicken and cook over the grill about 6 inches above the heat turning only once or twice. Once fully cooked or an instant-read thermometer reads 180F transfer to a dish to hold them with a lid for now. If you’re using any peppers and want them to be smoked, you can cook them as well at this time.
- While the chicken cools down from being pipping hot, prepare plates for everyone by placing a good serving of dirty white rice or Mexican rice as the base.
- In another bowl combine your avocado, onion if you chose to use it, and lime juice. Additionally, you can add your salsa at this point if you are using it, and if you used any peppers finely dice those up and add them as well. Toss or fold the mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
- Now place the chicken on top of the rice, and top everything with the avocado mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you’ve got leftovers of the avocado mixture, don’t worry. Keep in an air-tight container and you can reuse it with chips almost like guacamole – or simply add it to your next meal. A burrito perhaps. Hopefully, this will help you get through that bag of avocados we sometimes forget about and help us use all we have! If you’d like you can cut the chicken into slices prior to serving, and add other veggies to taste and garnish such as baby radishes or cilantro.