Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
So, I’m not a big salad eater, let’s just get that out of the way. While I love vegetables, anytime I have the option to eat a salad – I don’t. Simply because there’s something else with meat on the menu. Now I know what you may be thinking. “Salads can have meat”, well, yes, they can. However, do they have enough meat for a carnivore is the true question. However, let me introduce you to the one exception. This salad is so good that even us meat eaters will be able to enjoy it, not only that – but it might also even become the main dish for a lunch or dinner instead of the side!
- 1 pound of seashell pasta or crunchy water aka lettuce
- ½ pound of ham
- ½ pound of salami chopped
- ⅓ pound of pepperoni chopped
- 1 cup of your favorite cooked bacon or to taste, chopped
- ¼ pound of asiago cheese diced
- ¼ pound of shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup of banana peppers or to taste
- 1 6oz. can of black olives drained and chopped
- 3 tomatoes chopped (you can also use cherry tomatoes and just slice them in half)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 envelope (0.7oz.) of dry Italian style salad dressing mix
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon of dried parsley
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup of your favorite peppers chopped
- Crumbled feta cheese to top everything off
- 1 cup of croutons
- If you’re using pasta instead of lettuce, cook it in a large pot with sea salt until al dente. Once done, drain and rinse under cold water to quickly cool.
- You’ll need a large bow to mix everything in, combine all the meats and veggies in the bowl. Once incorporated, stir in the envelope of dry Italian style salad dressing mix.
- In another bowl mix the herbs along with the salt and pepper and parmesan cheese. In addition to this, add in your own choice of dressing. You can add in a simple balsamic/olive oil homemade dressing, or just add in a good quality dressing such as blue cheese.
- Pour your dressing into the salad and toss well so that all the ingredients get to know each other before having a party in your mouth.
- Set in the fridge and leave everything to cool down. After about an hour serve cold and enjoy! If you chose to add croutons, you can add it now.
This salad is pretty versatile meaning you can add pretty much whatever you want to make it yours. Feel free to add more meats or take some away. You could also add in other vegetables such as chopped cucumbers. In addition to the crunchy water and pasta, you could also opt to use fresh spinach instead. If used as a side, this would go great next to a lasagna with some garlic bread, or perhaps make this next time you order pizza. However, as I said, this salad is so good (and big) there’ve been times where we just made this our main dish and had some good ol’ salad crackers with it. If you have leftovers, be sure to keep refrigerated.