A family favorite in our home for many years has been home cooked meatloaf. It is such an easy and hearty meal to make, and sure to bring the family around the table. Pair it with some homemade butter mashed potatoes and a slice of bread, and you are good to go!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
- 3 slices bread, toasted and crumbled
- 7 buttery round crackers, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup milk (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the onion and garlic, beef, crumbled bread, crushed crackers, egg, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 can tomato sauce. Gradually stir in the milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is moist but not soggy. Transfer to a 5×9 loaf pan.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and continue baking 15 minutes. The internal temperature should read 160 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining tomato sauce and ketchup. Pour over the top of the meatloaf and continue baking another 10 minutes.
"*" indicates required fields