Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
Lately, I have been trying to eat healthier. I know, it’s the same “new year, new me”…but I’m really trying this time! I found tons of new recipes that are health conscious and delicious at the same time. I have never been a huge fan of rice, let alone brown rice, but this recipe may just be changing my view on the food.
- l lb chicken breasts, diced
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/8 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 head broccoli, florets
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Mix the diced chicken, 1 Tbsp of cornstarch, rice wine vinegar, and 1 tsp sugar in a large Ziplock baggie. Let marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, apple juice, soy sauce, hoisin, stevia, ginger, chili flakes, and corn starch. Make sure the corn starch dissolves completely before continuing.
- Partially steam broccoli florets and 2 Tbsp of water in a microwave steamer for 2 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on high. Once pan is hot, add sesame oil and olive oil to the pan.
- Add chicken and minced garlic to the skillet. Oil will pop so you may want to have a cover in case.
- Sear chicken on high for 3-4 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Once chicken in cooked through, add steamed broccoli and toss.
- Whisk sauce in the bowl to make sure it hasn’t settled, then add to the skillet. Simmer for about 5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken a bit.
- Combine rice with the cilantro and the juice from the lime.
- Serve chicken and broccoli over bed of rice. Enjoy!
- Can substitute stevia for the sugar to make it even healthier.
- Can substitute quinoa/rice blend OR cauliflower rice in lieu of the brown rice.
- If you do not have a microwave steamer, you can use a microwave safe bowl covered with a plate.
"*" indicates required fields