Every household has their grocery shopping routine. Ours is every Sunday morning while eating breakfast we make a list of dinners for the week and a needed list of groceries.
We check the list with what is in the pantry, fridge and freezer to narrow it down. Seems pretty flawless right?? Well sometimes items get missed or mistaken for something they aren’t.
I found this recipe on Pinterest for a simple crock pot meal: kielbasa, potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. In our house we love to take sour cream and mix it with an onion soup mix. It makes a GREAT chip and veggie dip! Well when going through my needed groceries for the recipe I saw the sour cream container (forgot I had made it into dip) and left it at that.
Later on in the week I went to make this simple easy meal, grabbed the sour cream from the fridge and a measuring cup from the drawer, opened the container, and saw… I don’t have sour cream I have onion dip.
At that point I had a quick flash back to my high school cooking class where my teacher told us “you can always tweak and substitute in cooking but never in baking”.
I had two options either use the onion dip mix or put everything away run back to the grocery store and start again when I get home. I chose to use the onion dip and MAN AM I GLAD I DID!! This recipe is a GREAT quick dinner idea or even an awesome side for a pot luck!
- 14oz Kielbasa
- 1 onion (small)
- 1 10.5oz cream of mushroom soup
- 1 32oz bag diced potatoes
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp onion soup mix (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the kielbasa in half (long way) and then into bite size pieces. Finely dice the onion
- Add the potatoes, kielbasa, onion, and cheese to the crockpot
- In a separate bowl mix together the sour cream, onion mix, and cream of mushroom soup. Once mixed, pour into the crockpot.
- Mix all ingredients together and turn the crockpot to low for 7 hours or until potatoes and kielbasa are warm all the way through.
- Highly recommend stirring at least hourly otherwise the cheese starts to stick to the sides of your cooker.
There is a lot you can do with this recipe
- You can substitute the cream of mushroom for cream of chicken
- The onion soup mix is optional but definitely adds to the flavor.
- You can add any kind of veggie like cauliflower, broccoli, or peppers
- If you add other veggies I would recommend steaming them first OR using frozen. Fresh veggies may note cook completely or may add to cooking time!
"*" indicates required fields