Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
These soft and buttery cookies are amazing with a thin layer of salted caramel and just a dusting of flaky sea salt for good measure. Using store-bought caramels makes the process especially easy and ensures that the coating has some satisfying chew to it. Would recommend taking them out a few seconds nearly to ensure that they stay soft and chewy.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 8 oz store-bought soft caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt
- Position oven racks near the center and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until well combined, about 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl when needed.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and fine sea salt, and mix until fully incorporated. Divide the mixture in half. Wrap each half piece in plastic wrap, patting into 1-inch thick discs. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove discs from fridge and scoop dough out into 1 1/2-tablespoon-size portions. You should have about 20. Using your hands, roll the dough into balls and place on the baking sheet, staggered and leaving about 2 1/2 inches between pieces.
- Wipe the bottom of a glass with a damp towel and use it to press the cookies flat (about 1/3 inch thick).
- Bake cookies 9-11 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the edges are golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Place unwrapped caramels and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave mixture 30-45 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments until caramels are fully melted and smooth.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, spoon a generous amount of caramel into the center of each cookie, roughly a teaspoon. Spread evenly over the cookie surface, leaving 1/4 inch uncoated around the edge. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Let cookies cool at room temperature until the caramel sets. Serve.
- If caramels become too thick as you work, reheat in microwave in -second increments, stirring in between.