This is a classic from anyone’s childhood! Kids love mac and cheese, and many will ONLY eat this and, I don’t know…maybe corn dogs? I know I’m not the type of mom to only cook organic and healthy foods for my kids, but I also know that boxed mac and cheese is AWFUL! Luckily, your kids will love this even more than “Kraft” and it doesn’t take too much effort to make. It’s also SUPER easy to adjust to your liking, so you can do a little more with the recipe if you prefer.
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 41/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease square baking dish.
- Cook macaroni to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk and half and half while stirring consistently. Cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes until the mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup shredded cheese until just melted.
- Add cooked macaroni and toss to coat. Pour half of the past mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top. Add remaining pasta and sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Do NOT use pre-shredded cheese from the store. Buy a block of cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer) from the store and grate it yourself. It melts SOO much better and is just better quality cheese all around.
- Grate your cheese at the beginning of the recipe, and allow it to sit and get to room temperature. It will help it melt more evenly.
- Don’t over-stir the cheese mixture.
"*" indicates required fields