Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
This is a must have recipe for your arsenal. It’s great to know how to make homemade bread and will shine when the shelves seem to be empty, or as we see how things are with inflation. It’s a pretty basic bread, and most of what’s needed is probably in your pantry.
- 2 1/4 cups flour (bread flour or all-purpose both work)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 .5 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- In a bowl add two teaspoons of instant yeast to 1 cup of room temperature water.
- In the same bowl add in two tablespoons of honey, and stir ingredients until mixed together.
- Let the liquid sit for five minutes at room temperature, then add 2 tablespoons of oil, stir once more until mixed. Put liquid to the side and let it sit at room temperature.
- In a separate large bowl add the 2 1/4 cups of flour and the 1.5 teaspoons of salt. Whisk together
- Add the liquid ingredients to your dry bowl ingredients.
- Next, you will kneed and beat the mixture over and over in the bowl until it forms into dough. You can also mix it with a mixer for about 10 minutes, or until you have dough you can pick up and work with.
- Once you’ve got your dough nice and round, sprinkle some flour on your cutting board or tabletop and tuck the seems under itself creating a nice round ball of dough.
- Place the dough seam side down in a lightly greased large bowl, cover with saran wrap or a warm damp towel, and leave it to rest for about 1.5 – 2 hours or until it’s doubled in size.
- Now that the dough has risen, take it out and place it back on your tabletop. You’ll spread the dough out into an even square shape, and begin to fold the dough into itself as if you were making cinnamon rolls. Make sure to make the folds tight, and tucking them in towards yourself before you fold the dough again. Once you’ve rolled the dough all the way up into itself, you’ll pinch off the folds creating one seam. With the ends of the loaf you’ll fold it into the seam so it’s rolled all together nicely.
- Place the dough seam side down in an greased loaf pan, and loosely cover with saran wrap.
- Let the dough rise once more until doubled in size or for around 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Finally, bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until deep golden brown, or about 35-40 minutes.
- Let the loaf completely cool before cutting and serving.
I call it three ingredient bread because the main ingredients needed are the flour, water, and yeast. The rest of the ingredients are for taste, and can be played with to your liking. Feel free to add things to this recipe such as blueberries and sugar, or more honey. Making bread is a great skill to have, and with the way things are with shortages, and inflation, you can make sure your family always has a loaf on the table.
"*" indicates required fields