An online comment on her made-from-scratch enchilada recipe is what prompted Ana Maria Regalado to create what she says is a real ‘lazy’ recipe for enchiladas. Regalado noticed the commenter claim that her homemade enchilada recipe was ‘lazy’ even though the recipe contained not only meat but a sauce made from scratch.
My response was, ‘No, I will show you the lazy way,’ Regalado said.
The ‘lazy way’ comprises four ingredients and a little short-on-time ingenuity: frozen taquitos (small, rolled tortillas stuffed with a savory meat filling and cheese), shredded cheese, canned sauce and toppings that can include shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped onions and chopped fresh cilantro.
Regalado, a mother of seven, home cook and food blogger, created a two-minute TikTok video demonstrating how she prepared her ‘lazy enchiladas’ in July 2021. The video has resurfaced and gone viral yet again with over 6.6 million views.
Regalado says you can make these in an airfyer, if you wish. She calls for one bowl of Mexican cheese blend which I think is about one bag’s worth of pre-shredded cheese, so if this is too much for you then reduce the amount to your liking. This is a easy and delicious dish for busy college students, frazzled parents and anyone with hunger pangs and little time to spare.
- 1 box frozen taquitos (Regalado uses chicken and cheese taquitos)
- Cooking spray
- 1 bowl Mexican cheese blend (about a bag pre-shredded or less)
- 2 cups canned enchilada sauce
- Your choice of toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped red onions and chopped fresh cilantro
- Crema Mexicana (Optional. This is like a sour cream with lime and salt added.)
- Pre-heat oven or air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Apply cooking spray to deep baking pan or casserole dish and place taquitos, flat side-by-side.
- Cook in oven or airfryer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While taquitos are cooking chop lettuce, tomato, onions and cilantro. The toppings can be switched for different veggies and herbs, if preferred.
- After the taquitos have cooked for the designated time, take the pan out and pour two cups of enchilada sauce over the taquitos.
- Sprinkle the Mexican blend cheese over the taquitos.
- Put the pan back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is visibly melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve the enchiladas with prepared toppings and optional crema Mexicana sauce.
"*" indicates required fields