Note: This article may contain commentary or the author's opinion.
Another Thanksgiving favorite of mine is green bean casserole. It’s quick, it’s easy and it has only a few ingredients. Three of my favorite things in a recipe. It’s so easy that you can actually make this the day of Thanksgiving and not even break a sweat.
You can find this recipe on the can of the French’s Fried Onions, but I do have some tweaks to make it mine. My own, my precious. (If you got that movie reference, you are my new best friend! If you didn’t, you must live in a hobbit hole and never get out). Any way, try this variation. It’s really good!
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) of cream of chicken soup. (The recipe calls for cream of mushroom. I used that one year and to this day, I’m still hearing about it. Clearly my husband’s side of the family do not eat fungus).
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (This is not in the original recipe, but I think it makes it creamier. You could even use half and half).
- Pepper to taste. About 1/2 teaspoon if you need a measurement. (Original recipe asks for 1/4 teaspoon. Trust me, add more).
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) green beans, drained. I use the french style cut green beans.
- French’s Fried Onions. I eyeball this because the more, the better. The original recipe calls for 1 1/3 cups, divided.
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix cream of chicken soup, heavy cream, milk and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir in green beans and 2/3 cup Crispy Fried Onions. ( I use about a cup of the fried onions).
- Place in 1 1/2-quart baking dish. (I use an 8×8 glass pan. If you are doubling it, I would use a 9×13 glass pan).
- Bake for 30 minutes, until hot. Stir.
- Shred parmesan cheese on the top, just enough for a thin covering.
- Top with remaining 2/3 cup onions. (Like stated earlier, I use more. I use enough to give it a good covering on top. Everyone loves the crunch it gives).
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown.
- Let me know what you think.
Serves 6 people
Time fast, maybe 40 minutes with the baking time