You’ve heard it said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It sets the tone for your morning and can brighten your mood if you’ve had a restless night before when slumberland eluded you.
But how often have you just skipped breakfast because you just couldn’t be bothered? Or you’ve had everything edible already (everything? really?) and nothing appeals to you? Maybe you just grab a handful of jelly beans, or a crumbly sugar-ladened granola bar and call it a day? Or maybe, just maybe, it’s a cup o’ joe and nothing more until you hit the drive-thru at lunch.
Self-care includes mealtimes, and it’s important to structure your day so you have time to cook. Cooking at home prevents you from resorting to the drive-thru, and saves money, especially during these times of runaway inflation. Too often breakfast gets neglected as a throwaway meal, and you’ve probably convinced yourself that the days of a hot breakfast coming from the stove rather than the microwave are over.
Well stop that stinkin’ thinkin’, I say! The Food Network presents this easy and delicious breakfast wrap that you can make in about 10 minutes. By a bag of whole wheat tortillas, a big bag of spinach, a carton of eggs, a packet of American cheese, some deli Black Forest ham sliced thinly, and a box of unsalted butter and with these ingredients along with salt and black pepper you have breakfast taken care of for days. While this recipe is for one serving, you can easily double it, or quadruple it, to serve a family.
And go ahead and play with the ingredients, using a different type of cheese or meat, or add additional veggies to make it vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- One 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- 1/3 cup lightly packed baby spinach
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 thin slices deli Black Forest ham
- Combine the eggs with a pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and swirl the skillet to coat the bottom. Working quickly, dip the tortilla in the eggs, then flip it over and place it back in the skillet (both sides should be coated in egg). Season with another pinch of salt.
- Continue to cook the eggs until they are completely set on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Be sure not to go over two minutes as will you have burnt egg (and that smells awful!)
- Slide a large rubber or silicone spatula under the tortilla and flip the whole tortilla and egg over in one single motion. Scatter the spinach on the half of the tortilla that’s closest to you, then top with the cheese and finally the ham. Continue to cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and slide onto a plate.
- Starting with the side that has all the filling, start rolling the tortilla into a tight wrap or burrito. Keep the seam side facing down so the wrap stays closed. Cut in half crosswise and serve with salsa, if you wish.
"*" indicates required fields