A fondue dinner is a fantastic choice for a delightful and interactive dining experience. The rich and creamy cheese fondue, made with a combination of Swiss and Cheddar cheeses, offers a comforting and indulgent flavor. The tangy white wine and hint of lemon juice add a delightful brightness to the dish. The dipping items, including crusty bread, assorted vegetables, cooked meats, and fruits, provide a range of textures and flavors that perfectly complement the cheese fondue. Whether you’re sharing a meal with family or hosting a gathering with friends, this fondue dinner encourages engagement and conversation as everyone gathers around the fondue pot, spearing and dipping their favorite items. It’s a wonderful way to create lasting memories while savoring the delicious combination of melted cheese and various delectable ingredients.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Serving size: 4-6
For the Cheese Fondue:
- 400g (14 oz) Swiss cheese (such as Gruyère or Emmental), grated
- 200g (7 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy) (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
For the Dipping Items:
- Crusty bread, cut into bite-sized cubes
- Vegetables (such as cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets, and baby carrots)
- Cooked meat (such as cubed chicken, steak, or cooked sausages)
- Apples or pears, sliced
- Assorted pickles (gherkins, cocktail onions, etc.)
- Prepare the Cheese Fondue:
- Rub the inside of a fondue pot or a heavy-bottomed saucepan with the halved garlic clove.
- Place the pot over medium heat and pour in the white wine and lemon juice. Heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Gradually add the grated Swiss cheese and Cheddar cheese, stirring constantly in a figure-eight motion until melted and smooth.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the kirsch (if using). Stir the mixture into the cheese until well incorporated.
- Continue cooking the cheese mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg to taste.
- Prepare the Dipping Items:
- Cut the crusty bread into bite-sized cubes, and set aside.
- Wash and prepare the vegetables, cutting them into manageable pieces for dipping. Blanch the broccoli florets briefly in boiling water until slightly tender, then drain and set aside.
- Cook the meat (if necessary), and slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the apples or pears into thin wedges.
- Serve the Fondue Dinner:
- Place the prepared fondue pot with the melted cheese mixture on a fondue stand or a heat source in the center of the dining table.
- Arrange the dipping items around the fondue pot for easy access.
- Provide long forks or skewers for dipping and cooking the items in the fondue.
- Each person can select their desired item, spear it with a fork or skewer, and dip it into the cheese fondue, swirling to coat evenly.
- Enjoy the delicious combination of flavors and textures!
Note: Ensure caution when working with the fondue pot as it contains hot liquid. Keep the heat source at a suitable temperature to prevent scorching the cheese.
"*" indicates required fields