This chicken fried rice recipe is a delicious and satisfying dish that combines tender chicken, aromatic garlic, colorful vegetables, and savory sauces. With its blend of textures and perfectly balanced seasonings, it pleases your taste buds. The chicken is browned to perfection, infusing the dish with rich flavors, while the garlic, onion, carrots, and peas (for some people) add aromatic freshness. The scrambled eggs provide a silky texture, and the soy sauce and oyster sauce bring a delightful umami depth. Using cooled or day-old rice ensures a light and fluffy texture, allowing the other ingredients to shine. Whether for a quick weeknight dinner or a crowd-pleasing dish, this chicken fried rice is versatile, customizable, and incredibly satisfying—indulge in the delightful blend of flavors for a truly delicious meal!
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably cooled or day-old rice)
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional; I detest peas so I leave them out)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the minced garlic, chopped onion, and diced carrot. Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and pour the beaten eggs into the other side. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked through. Then, mix the eggs with the vegetables.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet, breaking up any clumps with a spatula. Stir-fry the rice with the vegetables and eggs for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to combine.
- Add the frozen peas to the skillet and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet and mix it with the rice and vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using). Pour the sauce over the chicken fried rice and stir to coat everything evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is well combined and heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve the chicken fried rice hot and enjoy!
Note: You can customize this recipe by adding other vegetables like bell peppers or mushrooms, or by adding additional seasonings such as ginger or chili flakes, according to your taste preferences.
"*" indicates required fields