This sausage gravy is delicious because it combines perfectly browned breakfast sausage’s rich and savory flavors with a creamy and velvety milk-based sauce. The sausage adds a hearty and meaty element to the gravy, providing a satisfying texture and depth of flavor. The combination of flour and milk creates a thick and smooth consistency that coats every bite, while the seasonings like salt, black pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper add a delightful kick and enhance the overall taste. Whether served over warm biscuits, toast, or fried chicken, this gravy is a comforting and indulgent addition to any breakfast or brunch table, promising a mouthwatering experience that will leave you craving more.
- 1 pound (450g) breakfast sausage (pork or turkey)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper (for a bit of heat)
- Biscuits, toast, or fried chicken (for serving)
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the breakfast sausage and break it up into small pieces using a spatula or spoon. Cook the sausage, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and cooked through.
- Once the sausage is cooked, reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage. Stir well to coat the sausage with flour. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to cook off the raw flour taste.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring continuously. This will help prevent lumps from forming. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the gravy simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens to your desired consistency. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking.
- Season the sausage gravy with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if desired). Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your preference. Remember that the sausage will already add some saltiness, so start with a small amount and add more if needed.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. The sausage gravy is now ready to be served.
Serve the sausage gravy over warm biscuits, toast, or fried chicken. It makes a delicious breakfast or brunch option. You can also serve it alongside scrambled eggs, hash browns, or any other breakfast favorites.
"*" indicates required fields